Sunday, February 26, 2012

A poem I'm posting for a friend... much love.


I said “No.”
By: Erin 

I remember……. I said “No.”
Actually I begged you to stop
I pleaded with you to leave me alone
But you didn’t

You ignored me
Abused my body
You violated me, my body, and my spirit
I remember…….I said “No.”

Time went by; my lips sealed shut
I felt filthy every single day
No one could know, the shame, the disgust

That bathroom became a place for purging the wrong you did
The filth you left inside my body
The impurity and shame I held within

Sometimes I wondered: Did I say yes in some strange way?
Sometimes I asked myself: Did I tell him I wanted that?
Sometimes I questioned: Did I deserve this?

But the truth is out, it’s loud and clear:
I remember…….I said: “No.”

My experience is not uncommon, or unique to me
This horrible thing happens at an alarming degree
I’m working through it day by day
Even though sometimes there is nothing I want to say

But I will always remember that I said “No.”
And that he should have let go.

2 comments:

  1. great poem, erin. keep talking about it. it will only empower you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, thank you for speaking for all of us who have said, "No!" and have been ignored. You are the voice of courage, my friend!

      Delete