Thursday, February 9, 2012

Brick Walls.


Boundaries
By: Erin 

I used to really hate that word ‘boundaries’
I drew mental images of brick walls one hundred feet tall
I envisioned shutting people out, turning people away from the gates of my heart
I pictured putting myself on a pedestal and pushing everyone down below my feet
Saying “I’m the most important, Bow down to me!”

That was when my understanding of the word was not quite right
That was when my imagination combined with my infatuation
To be the best at everything I wanted or they wanted me to be
Took precedent of everything people who cared were telling me
In the end it steered me from being anything I had been called to be

Since then, I’ve learned a lot
Through journal, talk, and thought
This is my conclusion about that one hundred foot wall in my mind standing tall

Boundaries 
They are Measures of protection
To guard your health, your happiness, your heart
Things you do or don’t do regardless of who you are with
The choice to share and disclose, as well as the choice not to
For you know that your life is yours to share when you want to

Knowledge of what is healthy for you
Knowledge of what you need and what you don’t
Knowledge of where people should not come or cross
For your space and your life is full of lines that you might not be ready for people to run across

And finally it’s important to know
When our boundaries are broken, disregarded or violated
It is our right, our duty to ourselves
To kindly but firmly show those that have crossed them where they must go
To do this we must often open our mouths and say:
“I’m sorry you must leave you cannot stay”



No comments:

Post a Comment