Thursday, February 9, 2012

uncomfortable.


Separation anxiety
By: Erin 

As I walk further from my illness
I feel distant from the self I used to know
I lack understanding of what will come
I struggle to reach for and feel security

ED and I were once two peas in a pod
He came where I went
I went where he told me to go
At the time, it would have seemed like he was my god.

Bipolar Disorder and I got along from time to time
On highs I would be intense and productive
Bipolar made me a leader, smart, dedicated too
Unfortunately all of that would quickly change on the flip of a dime

On days like today
When I feel tired of working on recovery
When I feel frustrated that in some ways this will never really end
When I feel tempted to return to the other part of my ‘pod’
When I long for the intensity and productivity and impulsivity too
I must remember that separation from illness will lead me
To the long sought after self-discovery
  To a place where I can actually become my own friend
To a time where I won’t need my façade
To a week where the days are not as hard to get through
And finally
To a person that is not bound by an ‘ED’ or Bipolar, no but to a person that is free to be me
and you to be whoever you want yourself to be too


2 comments:

  1. this was beautiful, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cam! I'm working on it... tomorrow is 4 months of solid recovery for me! I think freaking out a little is normal. BUT I know what I want. I hope you are doing great:) Love, Erin

    ReplyDelete