Thursday, February 9, 2012

Compassion Explained.


Compassion
By: Erin 
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Erin
And I’m going to share with you something I learned about compassion

I struggle like most people to get through life
I deal with mental illness, trauma, stress and the like
And a while ago I was sure I was done
Even before my life had really begun

I was consumed with frustration at my current situation
Convinced that my life was just a series of temptations

People tried to encourage, support and care
But eventually they would no longer know and blankly stare
Which increased the self-pity and escalated the self-doubt
This usually encouraged me do things in my life that helped me zone out

It is nice to hear that you are loved
It is nice to hear you are cared for too
But isn’t it the best to hear that someone believes in you

To have compassion for others in their time of need
Is a big part of what will help them triumph and succeed
But, there is a way, a method, a time and a place
That could help them the most by giving them both inspiration and grace

Everyone has responsibilities
At times mine were to eat three meals and participate in group
Those things were not easy during those days but that was my place and bowl of soup
People encouraged me, helped me, supported me too
But they were firm and always expected me to do what I was there to do
This sent me the message that I could accomplish my goal
Which helped me to feel a little less broken and a little more whole

Everyone has abilities
When you are caught in a crisis, and feel dangerously low
There is something important others and yourself must know
Just because you’re feeling pretty awful and not great
Does not mean this will forever be your fate
You were born with talents and have developed skills
That will help carry you over life’s mountains and hills

Everyone has the power to choose
When we are suffering we often do not get to pick what happens at all
And this feeling is often what makes a lot of us feel small
But What I am saying to those who support and to those who suffer
Our power to choose makes us a heck of a lot tougher
We can choose treatment, exercise, a good amount of sleep too
These are definitely some of the decisions that helped me and might help you

Now back to compassion you may be confused
But my point is that compassion is not always when compliments and nice words are used
People had compassion for me when they cared enough
To expect me to face the really tough stuff
I move slowly when I am struggling and tired
But I am still moving forward because that is required
It is needed for living
It is need for loving
And learning too
The compassion is there
Even if some people blankly stare
I can tell you one thing I believe in you
To do just what you need to do



No comments:

Post a Comment